Knowing how to fight is essential. Martial arts are sports, like any other, with rules, regulations, restraint and discipline. All Martial Arts are great to train but they do not teach you how to fight.
- Boxing teaches you how to throw a mean punch, but if the fight goes to the ground the boxer is done for.
- Thai Kickboxing shows you how to kick the hell out of someone, but if the fight goes to the ground the Thai Kickboxer is done for.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu teaches you how to subdue someone on the ground with an armbar or a choke, but it doesn’t teach stand-up fighting or punching.
- Jeet Kune Do teaches you how to condition your body and mind but it doesn’t teach you how to break free of a headlock.
- Wrestling will build immense strength but has too many rules to ever win a fight.
Put all the Martial Arts training styles together and you have: MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) combine all the styles of martial arts training into one package: learning how to fight.
Here are 10 Reasons to Study and Train Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
1) Training Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) will build confidence in you. When you know how to fight your mind is a little calmer, a little freer, and a little more relaxed. When you know how to throw a punch, break an arm, or choke someone unconscious there isn’t too much threat of physical confrontation. And if there is threat, it is easier to walk away.
2) Training MMA will teach you discipline. As with any sport, MMA requires discipline. It teaches discipline of the mind and body. Training MMA teaches the discipline of eating right, sleeping right, and training right.
3) Training MMA is an excellent physical workout. Sparring (Boxing practice during training) or grappling (wrestling or ground-fighting practice) for 3-5 minute rounds is absolutely brutal cardio, which is why fighters are usually in top notch physical condition. There is no treadmill or stair-master in the world that can beat the benefits of practice fighting.
4) Training MMA will teach you self-defense. If the need should ever arise you will be able to defend yourself against would be attackers.
5) Training MMA is a good manly hobby. Here we talked about causes of depression in males and one of the big reasons is lack of anything physical or masculine. Fighting in a controlled environment is just a damn good hobby that promotes values like courage, strength, will and heart.
6) Training MMA fulfills mans need for physical expression aka violence. We don’t want violence in our daily lives but we still yearn for physicality. We all get pumped up seeing fights in movies or TV or when we hear about someone who was accosted by thugs and kicked the crap out of the them. Training MMA is a perfect middle ground. You can train (or fight) in controlled areas and release aggression with no threat of repercussions, jail time, murder etc..
7) Training MMA teaches competition. The 2nd best person in a fight is a big ol’ loser. “Winning isn’t everything!” It is when their are only two of you. Training MMA will bring that winning drive and spirit to the surface, which can be utilized in other aspects of daily life like business and relationships. Competition is good. A person training in MMA will not spar or grapple with too many opponents willing to roll over and lose – it’s real competition and everyone wants to win.
8) Training MMA is a huge stress reliever. Above, we talked about how fighting releases aggression and it’s true. After an hours session of training, when you are completely drenched in sweat, tired and sore as hell, ready for a big meal and sleep there can be no more room for stress.
9) Camaraderie. When training at an MMA gym you will meet a whole bunch of people with similar interests as you. You aren’t going to run into too many nancy-boys afraid of their own shadow. You get to hang with other big dogs while kicking ass and taking names.
10) Chicks dig fighters. Women love violence. They will say things like “I hate violence. I hate those meathead guys that fight all the time.” The women who say things like this have one thing in common: they’re lying. Women absolutely love men who handle violent confrontation and come up the winner. It’s in their nature, it’s in their DNA.